Modern homes are well sealed to keep heating and cooling indoors. While this improves energy efficiency, inadequate fresh air, indoor contaminants and nonstop recirculation can lead to problems.
Don’t worry, though, because Schraer Heating & Air Conditioning can help you have an energy-efficient home that’s also comfortable. Our services include an air quality audit, air duct cleaning and products to help improve indoor air quality in Warrenton, Missouri.
Call us at 636-456-5041 today to start refreshing your home’s indoor air quality.
Clues Your Home Has Poor Indoor Air Quality
Is your home’s air healthy? It may not be as healthy as you think. Pollution may be two to five times higher indoors versus outdoors, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Indoor air pollution floating through your home’s air can result in headaches and allergy flareups. And mold and mildew can trigger a number of health issues.
While these symptoms can be a consequence of other issues, they can also be a sign your home has indoor air quality (IAQ) problems. This is especially true if you recover while you’re out of the house.
- Dry eyes, nose, throat or skin
- Headaches and sinus issues
- Allergies or asthma symptoms that are more severe than average
- Coughing and sneezing
- Dizziness or nausea
A well-worn heating and cooling system will sometimes be a contributing factor in indoor air quality problems, primarily if it’s struggling to filter air, balance humidity or keep temperatures consistent.
Here are some other signs you might need to improve your indoor air:
- Too much static or mold growth
- Excessive dust
- Stuffy or musty odors
How Can I Avoid Indoor Air Quality Problems?
Combating indoor air quality problems can be relatively easy with the following 10 simple tips:
- Plan an indoor air quality audit with Schraer Heating & Air Conditioning. We’ll examine areas that affect air quality, like humidity, carbon monoxide and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Then we’ll walk you through concerns we find and how you can improve them.
- Clean consistently to reduce dust mites, which can worsen allergies and asthma.
- Keep your home free of secondhand smoke.
- Use a whole-home filtration system to eliminate odors, rather than hiding them with air fresheners or fragrant candles. The pollutants include chemicals that can trigger headaches or upset respiratory illness.
- Ventilate gas-burning appliances, such as stoves and water heaters, to the outdoors.
- Keep your home’s humidity levels comfortable with a humidifier or dehumidifier, according to your needs. Adjust humidity under 50% to hinder mold and mildew spread.
- Test your home for radon. Long-term exposure to this invisible radioactive gas is the main cause of lung cancer for nonsmokers, as reported by the EPA. You can buy a radon test kit online or reach out to your state radon program for info on discounted or free kits.
- Use a ventilation system to replenish contaminated indoor air with fresh outside air.
- Choose natural cleaning and painting supplies that are low in or free of VOCs. Excess levels of VOCs can irritate symptoms for family members with respiratory illnesses.
- Mount carbon monoxide detectors near bedrooms.
Start Cleaning Your Air Today with Schraer Heating & Air Conditioning
With a full roster of Certified Pros and indoor air quality solutions, Schraer Heating & Air Conditioning can help your family breathe much easier. Call us at 636-456-5041 or contact us online today to begin.